Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Devotional 13 - The Sabbath year

            Normally when we talk about the Sabbath we think of Sunday or the one day a week we take off to rest from our normal work activities. Recently a Pastor reminded me that the Israelites took a Sabbath year with their crops. Leviticus 25: 3-4 NIV says, “For six years sow your fields, and for six years prune your vineyards and gather their crops. But in the seventh year the land is to have a year of Sabbath rest, a Sabbath to the Lord.”

            Lately, when I have good days of health I long to do something more than rest. Then as soon as I do a little too much for my body I am clearly reminded that I am not even close to 100% ready. I told others and myself I would take time off and rest, but it hasn’t been easy to actually do. During this conversation with this pastor, I was reminded how much I miss serving others and the church. My passion for helping and building relationships burns so deep it hurts. Still this recent conversation was a reminder that taking a break from “sowing, pruning and reaping” will bring about new and fresh opportunities in the next season of my life.

            As for right now, my goal is find a balance with it all. My passion will never go away if it is from God. Right now I need to pick my battles and figure out how use my energy wisely. One day I will look back and appreciate this slow season even though it is extremely tough.

            What kind of season are you in right now? Do you need to slow down and take a Sabbath year or are you just coming out of Sabbath year? Which ever you are in today, remember that there is always growth in both seasons. Sometimes the growth is outward, but it can also be inward too. Let us treasure the season that God has placed us in right now even when it doesn’t always make sense.

            

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Frontier - Chp 2 - Part 1

Chapter II   “Why did you come back?” Myka asked. As she stood at the door of the tent.   Mic put his hand on her back to guide her towards ...