Thursday, February 16, 2017

Devotional 14 - The art of saying goodbye

            I hate saying goodbye. I used to avoid it each summer I came back to the States to visit. I even intentionally would make my friends into enemies so I didn’t have to say goodbye. I always thought it would be better if they were mad at me when I left. Friendships were hard to keep up with back when I was younger, but even now with all the technology speaking and hanging out with a friend in person means so much more. Sadly we move away and no matter what we change a little each time. We make new friends and still try to keep up with our old ones. In the long run it is hard to be friends with everyone all the time. Some friendships are for a season and some are for a lifetime, knowing the difference is most difficult.

            I have been very blessed with many great friendships. I have been able to keep up with many of them, but sometimes phone calls and emails aren’t enough. Being together in person is so much better. I pray for the days that can happen more often, but usually I have to be okay with long distance friendships. Even now since we have moved I very much miss the friends I have left. They were with me during some very difficult times these pasts few years and I so deeply appreciate them.


            I do look forward to the new friendships that I am building here in the new city. I know that saying goodbye is part of life and I have learned over the years that it isn’t forever. Over these many years of goodbyes, I thankfully have learned how to do it better than I once did as a kid. I hope that I keep learning the art of saying goodbye and teach it to my daughter too. Instead of looking sadly at the past, I pray that I can move forward with excitement and appreciate all the friendships God has blessed me with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Frontier - Chp 2 - Part 1

Chapter II   “Why did you come back?” Myka asked. As she stood at the door of the tent.   Mic put his hand on her back to guide her towards ...