Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Are we looking for Jesus?


In Matthew 2:1-6 the Magi from the far east were looking for the King of the Jews. They had seen a star and had been watching, studying, and paying attention to the signs the world was saying about the coming of Jesus.  But what intrigues me isn’t their pursuit of the King of the Jews it was the chief priests and teachers of the Law. When the Magi asked for directions King Herod brought them out to confirm what the Magi were looking for. They knew the scripture. They had been memorizing it since childhood. They knew the signs too, but they choose not to pursue the Messiah. The signs of their Savior were right in front of them, but they missed them all because they weren’t looking. Even with helping the Magi they still didn’t seem interested in visiting the King of the Jews.

They weren’t even curious.
Why is that?
What made these men stop looking for their Messiah?

I will give them some benefit of the doubt. They were in the middle of Roman rule. They probably knew that King Herod wouldn’t approve another king. It must of not been easy, but even when they knew the answer to King Herod it didn’t change any of their hearts. We know that because only the Magi showed up at Joseph, Mary and Jesus’ place. There is no record of any of the teachers of the law being remotely interested in finding their King and Messiah.  

I believe the reason is they just weren’t looking for him. 
They were probably more focused on pleasing the King that they already had in front of them then finding out the truth behind the scripture they had memorized and studied for so many years.

When we stop looking for Jesus in our daily lives we miss him. We miss opportunities. I personally don’t want to be like the Chief of Priests and ignore all the signs pointing to a Messiah because I am too focused on pleasing my desires, my friends, my career, or anything else I put before Jesus. 

I need to keep seeing Jesus in all that I do. He is the center of what I am and what I do and when I focus on Him, He can bring back my hearts desires and dreams into alignment with Him. I’m not saying that every move we make we need to analyze and second guess ourselves whether it is God’s will or not. He gives us choices in life, but in the midst of daily routine we need to pay attention for signs of Jesus guiding us. Maybe it is someone on the street that needs help or a ride, Maybe it is a parent that you don’t get alone with that just needs friendship and compassion. Maybe it is praying with someone in line at the grocery store. Maybe it is inviting your neighbor to a church activity or into your home for a meal. 

My prayer today and for each day is that I keep my eyes on Jesus. That He can gently guide me to new ways and opportunities of being Jesus to others. I don’t want to be like the Chief of Priest and teachers of the Law that only knew the knowledge of scripture. I want the knowledge of scripture to go from my head to my heart in everyday life. Hebrews 12:2 says, “Let us fix our eyes on Jesus the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Frontier - Chp 2 - Part 1

Chapter II   “Why did you come back?” Myka asked. As she stood at the door of the tent.   Mic put his hand on her back to guide her towards ...